Friday, March 26, 2010

More on Why I Love Writing

WRITING .... I LOVE IT DON'T YOU?
I am never, and I mean never, without a book at my disposal. I take every opportunity I can possibly grab to read. So that's two things I love...writing and reading. As a writer you must love to read, not just enjoy it, not just indulge in it as a past time, YOU HAVE TO LOVE IT.

If, for example, you want to write in the genre of romance novels well I might be going out on a limb here, but I really think you need to read a heck of a lot of them to gain an appreciation and an insight into what makes a good one, and a bad one.


I go further than this though. You should not be restricting yourself to one particular genre or style. Our job as writers is to push boundaries and challenge our readers. Readers will get sick of the same old water in the tub, they need to be nudged, prodded and poked every so often and so do writers.


If you've never read a piece of chick lit in your life, do yourself a favour and do just that. You might be a little surprised by what you find.
My advice, read everythign you can get your hands on it will only serve to broaden your own knowledge on other areas and subjects and may very well give you some useful fodder for your own work.


Love to write / love to read.


Will

No comments: